Summer in October

I realize that we're now deep into October, but this past Sunday morning has felt so summery. The sun was out in full force. I slept in, made a pumpkin pie, then did a few household chores, all while listening to Michael Franti's Sounds of Sunshine album and dancing around a little.



I didn't blog too much this summer, but it was not for lack of crafting. I was outside a lot of the time, spending time with friends, travelling, and getting up to Squamish to do some rock climbing. My sewing machine did see a little action, too, and I made a couple of handbags. I was really happy with how each of them turned out, especially as  I made up both patterns myself.

Little Sunshine Clutch
I made this bag to use at a couple of weddings I attended this summer. I planned to wear a charcoal grey dress from Smoking Lily, sassed up with bright yellow Miz Mooz flats. (I looove their shoes - super fun and super comfy.) So I needed a yellow bag, big enough to carry a camera and a few items, but small enough not get in the way. The wrist loop handle worked perfectly to keep the bag nearby, but out of the way.



Russian Doll Carry-All Handbag
I also wanted to make a giant summer bag, using this awesome Matryoshka doll fabric I'd been saving for something special.


My favourite part about this bag, beside the fabulous fabric, is the "tulip" top. I made the body of the bag, then left it on my workdesk for a few days, not quite sure how the top band should be... letting it percolate and sketching out ideas every now and then, till the right one struck. I'm glad I didn't just rush ahead with my first idea (which had buttons), as I'm much happier with the tulip.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Popsicles the New Cupcakes?

Jaejoong's (JYJ) Hair Style [Pictures]

Hair Model Below Deck